Bisi Bele Bhath recipe by the easy method.
Bisi Bele Bhath (Easy Method)
Green peas : 1 cup
Green beans (chopped into small pieces) : 1 cup
Carrots (chopped into small pieces) : 1 cup
Rice : 1 cup
Toor Dal : 1 cup
Dry (dessicated) coconut : 1 cup
Curry Leaves : 10 – 15 leaves
Tamarind paste : 2 tablespoons
Turmeric (Haldi, Arshna) : ½ teaspoon
Cashew : ¼ cup
Salt to taste
Coriander Seeds (Dhania) : 1 cup
Red Chillies : 1 cup
Chana Dal : 1 tablespoon
Urad Dal : 1 tablespoon
Fenugreek (Methi) : 1½ teaspoons
Cumin seeds (Jeera) : 1 teaspoon
Cinnamon : 1 piece
Cloves : 2
Asafoetida (Hing) : ¼ teaspoon
Marathi moggu (Dried Capers) (optional) : 1 teaspoon
Vegetable Oil : 4 tablespoons
- Shallow fry coriander seeds, red chillies, chana dal, urad dal, fenugreek, cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, marathi moggu and asafoetida with a little oil. Dry grind into a powder.
- Shallow fry dry coconut separately until golden brown. Add this to the powder and grind once again.
This Bisi Bele Bhath powder can be used more than once.
- Cook all the vegetables until they are half cooked.
- Pressure cook the toor dal and rice separately.
- In a big vessel add the vegetables, rice, dal, salt, tamarind paste, asafoetia and bisi bele bhath powder and some water. Let it cook for 20 minutes. Add hot water as needed.
- The bhath will become very thick when it cools. So, it is better to add water and keep it reasonably watery while cooking. Set this aside.
- In a pan, heat 2 tablesppons of oil. Add mustard. After the mustard pops, add asafoetida, 2 pieces of red chili and cashews. Cook until cashews are light brown. Add this seasoning to the bhath.
- Serve hot with raita or chips.