This chutney goes well with chapathi.
Heerekai (Toorai) Chutney
Heerekai (Toorai) : 3
Red chillies : 5
Cumin seeds (Jeera) : 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek (Methi) seeds : ½ teaspoon
Tamarind paste : ½ teaspoon
Asafoetida (Hing) : ¼ teaspoon
Mustard seeds (Rai, Sasve) : 1 teaspoon
Peanuts : 2 tablespoons
Chana Dal : 1 teaspoon
Urad Dal : 1 teaspoon
Vegetable Oil : 6 tablespoons
Salt to taste
- Peel and cut the ridge gourd into small pieces.
- In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and fry red chillies, fenugreek and cumin seeds. Add the ridge gourd and cook on low. Add salt and tamarind paste. After the ridge gourd is fully cooked, remove from fire and let it cool.
- Grind everything without water into a coarse paste.
- In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and fry peanuts until golden brown and set them aside.
- In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add mustard. After the mustard pops, add asafoetida, urad dal and chana dal. Cook until the dals are golden brown.
- Pour seasoning over the chutney. Add the peanuts just before serving.