This is a spicy chutney style relish that goes well with plain white rice and ghee, or as a substitute for indian pickle.
- Lemons – 12 medium sized
- Green/Red Chillies – 6 (depending on the variety)
- Hing and Haldi – 1/4 Tsp each
- Methi (Fenugreek) Seeds – 2 Tsp
- Salt – According to taste”
- Cilantro Leaves -1/2 Cup (same amount regardless of quantity)
- Cut lemons into small pieces
- Roast methi seeds until it turns brown
- Fry red or green chillies in a teaspoon of oil
- Grind all ingredients using lemon juice instead of water. Grind to a smooth paste. Note that green chillies are tastier than red chillies in this dish, and it is ok to have small pieces of lemon in the thokku paste.
- Make ‘Oggarnae’ with 3-4 tablespoons oil and mustard seeds. Add the lemon paste and cook in the oil for a few minutes while stirring. This will increase the shelf life of the thokku. Store in an air tight container and refrigerate.]