This is a traditional Kannadiga rice dish popular on festive occasions.
Rice : 2 cups
Fresh grated coconut : 2 cups
Whole Red Chillies : 6-8 pieces
Mustard seeds (Rai, Sasve) : 1½ teaspoons
Asafoetida (Hing) : ¼ teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 10 -15 leaves
Peanuts : ½ cup
Raw Mango : 1 large – grated
Chana Dal : 2 teaspoons
Urad Dal : 2 teaspoons
Oil : 6 – 8 tablespoons
Turmeric (Haldi, Arshna) : ½ teaspoon
Salt to taste
- Cook rice as you normally would and allow it to cool a little.
- Grind fresh coconut, 6 red chillies and mustard together to a fine paste.
Grate the raw mango and add it to the paste and continue grinding.
- In a pan, heat the oil. Add mustard seeds. After the mustard pops, add chana dal and urad dal. After the dals are light brown, add Asafoetida (hing), curry leaves, turmeric and 2 remaining red chillies. Add the coconut paste.
- Cook the paste for about 10 minutes on a medium flame until the oil begins to separate.
- Shallow fry peanuts in 1 tablespoon of oil separately. Add the paste, peanuts and salt to the rice.
- Toss well and serve hot.