This chutney goes well with hot rice and a teaspoon of ghee. Who would have imagined that zucchinis could taste so good!
Yield: Makes about 10 servings.
- Zucchini – 3 medium
- Mustard seeds (Rai, Sasve) – 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek (Methi) seeds – ½ teaspoon,
- Red chillies – 3 – 4
- Turmeric (Haldi, Arshna) – a pinch
- Fresh grated coconut – 3 tablespoons
- Tamarind paste – ½ teaspoon
- Coriander leaves – ¼ cup
- Asafoetida (Hing) – ¼ teaspoon
- Vegetable Oil – 4 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Cut the zucchini with the skin into small pieces.
- In a pan, heat 2 teaspoons of oil.
- Add fenugreek and red chillies.
- Add the zucchini and cook until it becomes soft.
- Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.
- Grind the cooked zucchini with tamarind paste, salt and coriander leaves.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in a small saucepan.
- Add the mustard seeds. After they pop, add the asafoetida.
- Pour over the zucchini chutney.