This is a delicious aromatic blend of onions, cilantro, and peas with a number of spices. The pulao has a pretty green color. Serve with a simple cucumber raita.
Basmati rice : 2 cups
Fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves : 6 cups
Fresh ginger : 1 inch piece, chopped
Garlic (optional) : 2 pods
Cinnamon (Dalchini) : 2 small pieces
Cardamom (Elaichi) : seeds from 3 – 4 pods
Cloves (Lavang) : 5 – 6
Green Chillies : 8 – 10
Onions : 2 small, chopped
Ghee : 4 tablespoons
Peas : 1 cup
Salt to taste
- Grind coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, green chillies and onions into a masala paste using a blender or food processor.
- In a heavy bottomed pan heat the ghee. Add the masala paste and cook, stirring frequently, until it turns dark green and the ghee begins to separate. Add rice and salt and stir well. Transfer this into a rice cooker.
- Add peas and 4 cups of water and cook the rice. Fluff with a fork before serving.
- Serve hot with raita and chips.
- Optionally, cook the rice in a large saucepan. Bringing the rice mixture, peas, salt, and 4 cups of water to a rolling boil. Then lower the heat, cover the saucepan, and cook for another 10 minutes (or until the water is completely absorbed).