This is a spicy chutney style relish that goes well with plain white rice and ghee, or as a substitute for indian pickle.
- Lemons – 12 medium sized
- Green/Red Chillies – 6 (depending on the variety)
- Hing and Haldi – 1/4 Tsp each
- Methi (Fenugreek) Seeds – 2 Tsp
- Salt – According to taste
- Cilantro Leaves -1/2 Cup (same amount regardless of quantity)
- Cut lemons into small pieces
- Roast methi seeds until it turns brown
- Fry red or green chillies in a teaspoon of oil
- Grind all ingredients using lemon juice instead of water. Grind to a smooth paste.
- Make ‘Oggarnae’ with 3-4 tablespoons oil and mustard seeds. Add the lemon paste and cook in the oil for a few minutes while stirring. This will increase the shelf life of the thokku. Store in an air tight container and refrigerate.
u003cliu003eNote that green chillies are tastier than red chillies in this dish, and it is ok to have small pieces of lemon in the thokku paste.u003c/liu003e