Rice Flour : 1 cup
Maida or All Purpose Floor : 1 cup
Fine sooji : 1 cup
Butter : 50 grams
Vegetable Oil : 2 -3 cups (for deep frying)
Onions : 2 large
Chili Powder : 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
- Lightly fry all three flours just until they are warm to the touch and become fragrant.
- Chop the onions finely.
- Combine all the ingredients except the oil and mix well. Do not add any water to the mixture.
- Set aside for 30 minutes and let the onions release their juice.
- Lightly mix the dough with your fingers and form balls that are the size of a medium lime.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed pan until it starts to ripple slightly.
- While the oil is heating, shape each ball of dough in your palm into a flat disc. The discs should be about quarter-inch thick. Adjust the thickness to get the right amount of crispness after frying.
- Fry the vadais in the vegetable oil on medium fire until they are golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot.