This pulao can be made with your favorite combination of vegetables. It is loaded with vegetables and a favorite comfort food in our kitchen.
Basmati rice : 2 cups
Carrots – chopped : 1 cup
Green beans – chopped : 1 cup
Potatoes – chopped : 1 cup
Peas : 1 cup
Cardamom (Elaichi) : Seeds from 5 pods
Cloves (Lavang) : 5
Green Chillies : 6 – 8
Fresh grated coconut : 1 cup
Onion – finely chopped : 1 big
Ginger : 1 inch piece
Ghee : 5 tablespoons
Salt to taste
- Grind cardamom, cloves, green chillies, coconut, onion and ginger into a masala paste using a blender or food processor.
- In a heavy pan, heat 5 tablespoons of ghee. Add the paste and cook it until the ghee begins to separate. Add the vegetables to the paste and cook for 5 minutes until tender-crisp.
- Add the rice to the vegetable mixture and fry for another couple of minutes. Transfer everything into a rice cooker.
- Add salt and 4½ cups of water to the rice and vegetable mixture and cook.
- Fluff with a fork before serving. Serve hot with raita and chips.
- Optionally, cook the rice in a large saucepan. Bringing the rice mixture, salt, and water to a rolling boil. Then lower the heat, cover the saucepan, and cook for another 10 minutes (or until the water is completely absorbed).