This is an interesting combination for a huli. It is a popular pick when we are running low on other vegetables. The trick is to make sure you don’t overcook the cucumber.
Toor Dal : 1 cup
Cucumber : 1 large
Coriander Seeds (Dhania) : 3 tablespoons
Cinnamon (Dalchini) : 1 piece
Turmeric (Haldi, Arshna) : 1/4 teaspoon
Fenugreek (Methi) : 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds (Jeera) : 2 teaspoons
Asafoetida (Hing) : 1/4 teaspoon
Red Chillies : 6 – 8
Curry Leaves : 10 – 15 leaves
Mustard seeds (Rai, Sasve) : 1/2 teaspoon
Fresh Grated Coconut : 4 tablespoons
Tamarind paste : 2 teaspoons
Salt to taste :
Vegetable Oil : 4 tablespoons
- Cut the cucumber into 3/4 inch cubes. Do not peel the cucumber, just wash thoroughly before use.
- Cook the toor dal in a pressure cooker.
- Cook the cucumber in a cup of water in a saucepan until it is almost cooked. When the cucumber is half boiled, add salt, tamarind paste and turmeric powder.
- Grind coriander seeds, cinnamon, fenugreek, cumin seeds, red chillies and fresh coconut together. Add the powder to the cucumber.
- Add the dal to the cucumber and let it boil for a few minutes.
- In a pan, heat about 2 tablespoons of oil. Add mustard.
After the mustard pops, add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add the seasoning to the huli.