Puliyogarae is an Iyengar speciality.
Puliyogarae (Tamarind Rice)
Rice : 2 cups
Tamarind paste : ½ cup
Coriander Seeds (Dhania) : ½ cup
Cumin seeds (Jeera) : 1 tablespoon
Black Pepper : 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds (Rai, Sasve) : 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek (Methi) : 1½ teaspoons
Sesame Seeds (Til) : 1½ tablespoons
Red Chillies : 6 – 8
Dry coconut : ½ cup
Jaggery or Brown Sugar : 2 tablespoons
Asafoetida (Hing) : ¼ teaspoon
Turmeric (Haldi, Arshna) : ½ teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 10 – 15 leaves
Chana Dal : 1½ teaspoons
Urad Dal : 1½ teaspoons
Peanuts or Cashews : ½ cup
Vegetable Oil : 4 tablespoons
Salt to taste
- Cook rice as you normally would and allow it to cool a little.
- Shallow fry coriander seeds, red chillies, black pepper, fenugreek, mustard, cumin seeds and sesame seeds with a little oil. Add dry coconut at the end. Fry to a golden brown. Dry grind into a powder (masala).
- In a pan, heat about 4 tablespoons of oil. Add mustard. After the mustard pops, add chana dal and urad dal. After the dals are light brown, add Asafoetida (hing), curry leaves and turmeric.
- Add tamarind paste, jaggery (brown sugar), salt and the masala powder.
Cook this until it becomes like thick chutney.
- Shallow fry peanuts separately in 1 tablespoon of oil.
Mix the paste and peanuts with the rice.
- Toss well and serve hot.