This is a wonderful delicacy for festive days.
Kayee Sasve Chitranna
Rice : 2 cups
Fresh grated coconut : 2 cups
Whole Red Chillies : 15-20 pieces
Mustard seeds (Rai, Sasve) : 1½ teaspoons
Asafoetida (Hing) : ¼ teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 10 -15 leaves
Peanuts : ½ cup
Tamarind paste : 1 teaspoon
Chana Dal : 2 teaspoons
Urad Dal : 2 teaspoons
Oil : 6 – 8 tablespoons
Turmeric (Haldi, Arshna) : ½ teaspoon
Salt to taste
- Cook rice normally and allow it to cool a little.
- Grind fresh coconut, red chillies and mustard together to a fine paste. Add tamarind paste while grinding.
- In a pan, heat the oil. Add mustard. After the mustard pops, add chana dal and urad dal. After the dals are light brown, add asafoetida (hing), curry leaves, turmeric and 2 pieces of red chillies. Add the coconut paste.
- Cook the paste for about 10 minutes on a medium flame.
- Shallow fry peanuts in 1 tablespoon of oil separately.
Add the paste, peanuts and salt to the rice.
- Toss well and serve hot.