This is a traditional Mysore sambar. It can be prepared with several combinations of vegetables. Popular ones included, beans, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, radishes, and onions. Look for the recipe for Huli Pudi under the spice mixes section on this website.
Huli (Mysore Sambar)
Toor Dal : 1 cup
Tamarind paste : 1 teaspoon
Huli Pudi (Sambar Powder) : 2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds (Rai, Sasve) : ½ teaspoon
Asafoetida (Hing) : ¼ teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 8 – 10 leaves
Vegetables : As desired
Salt to taste
- Pressure cook the toor dal separately in a pressure cooker.
- Add the vegetables to the dal.
- Add tamarind paste and huli pudi (sambar powder) .
Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- In a pan, heat about 2 tablespoons of oil. Add mustard.
After the mustard pops, add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add the seasoning to the huli. Enjoy!