Bisi Chutney (Maatodae Palya)
Chana Dal : 1 cup
Fenugreek (Methi) leaves finely chopped : 3 cups
Green chilies: 6 – 8
Coriander leaves : ¼ cup
Freshly grated coconut : 1 cup
Asafoetida (Hing) : ¼ teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 5 – 8 leaves
Turmeric (Haldi, Arshna) : ½ teaspoon
Urad Dal : 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds (Rai, Sasve) : 1 teaspoon
Vegetable Oil : 3 tablespoons
- Soak the chana dal for 2 hours.
- Grind the chana dal, green chillies, salt, asafoetida and coriander leaves together. Keep the chutney fairly coarse – don’t grind it too fine.
Add a little water while grinding if necessary.
- Add methi leaves and coconut. Grind again for just 5 seconds. Mix it together well.
- In a pan, heat 3 tablespoons of oil. Add mustard.
- After the mustard pops, add asafoetida, urad dal, turmeric and curry leaves. Cook until the dal is golden brown.
- Add the ground mixture to the seasoning.
- Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking, until the dal is cooked.